Monday, July 7, 2008

Music - Best Of

I promised music reviews when I started this blog, but so far I haven't even mentioned music. I thought I'd give my top five records of 2006, 2007, and 2008, so you can get an idea of what I like.
Best of 2008 (so far)
5. Black Angels - Directions To See A Ghost
Genre: Psychedelic Rock
My take: Hypnotic, droning, awesome rock 'n roll, complete with a sitar.

4. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Genre: Folk, Pyschedelic Folk
My take: Hymn-like voices meet pop hooks to create this wonderful pseudo-folk record.

3. No Age - Nouns
Genre: Noise, Punk
My take: Addicting, experimental and fun noise-punk.

2. Born Ruffians - Red, Yellow & Blue
Genre: Indie Pop
My take: The hookiest, catchiest, most wonderful pop in a long time

1. The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
Genre: Lo-Fi, Indie Pop
My take: Funny songwriting, hooky choruses, awesome guitar.

Best of 2007

5. Fiest - The Reminder
Genre: Pop, Singer/Songwriter
My take: Brilliant pop - no more, no less.

4. Radiohead - In Rainbows
Genre: Rock, Electronic
My take: Some of Radiohead's best songs, and an intriguing business model to boot.

3. The National - Boxer
Genre: Indie Rock, Post-Punk
My take: Following in the footsteps of Interpol, this is Joy Division for Generation Y.

2. Yeasayer - All Hours Cymbals
Genre: Indie Rock, Experimental
My take: So many influences, this is pop music of the future.

1. A Place To Bury Strangers - A Place To Bury Strangers
Genre: Shoegaze, Noise, Post-Punk
My take: The Jesus & Mary Chain had a rock battle with Joy Division, and it sounds like this. It's loud and great.

Best of 2006

5. Ratatat - Classics
Genre: Electronic, Rock
My take: Catchy & original, it's party music in the best sense.

4. Okkervil River - Overboard and Down EP
Genre: Indie Rock
My take: Literary songwriting and a haunting version of one of Okkervil River's best songs.
3. The Drones - Gala Mill
Genre: Rock, Psychedelic Rock
My take: This is regional, delightfully droning (ha) Australian rock. Recorded in a ancient mill, the sound is as expansive as the storytelling. Like nothing else.

2. Ghost Mice - Europe
Genre: Folk, Punk
My take: Purely acoustic, it's a folk sound with punk lyrics and sensibilities. More integrity than most any other band out there, and killer songwriting as well.
1. Joanna Newsom - Ys
Genre: Folk, Classical
My take: This is, in my opinion, one of the most important and best albums released in my lifetime. Incredibly intricate storytelling backed by a brilliant symphonic arrangement and Newsom's unique harping. It blows my mind at least once a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great selection! but Joanna Newsom important?? She can't sing and if she wasn't cute and playing a harp no one would know her name.