Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wednesday came WAY too fast this week.

And I don't have a playlist. For a change of pace I present you with some pictures.


This one is from the hike in the Cevennes about a month ago. I think it's pretty funny because everybody looks very irritable, which couldn't be farther from the truth.
Looking out over the "mountains."
The fog was cool, and this hike gave me the impression that everything in France is just a little bit softer and more user-friendly. We stopped for an hour and a half for lunch, which involved an appetizer, entrée (literally translated, "entrance" or pre-main course), main course, a desert and no less than three (3!) kinds of alcohol, cheese, chocolate, and coffee. Then somebody blew up an empty bag of wine, placed it on the ground for a pillow, and promptly took a nap.This is a view down the street from the balcony of a "gite" (pronounced [jeet]). A gite, as far as I can tell, is a house that you can rent. We (the climbing club Vertigo) were there to eat and party and ostensibly climb the next day.
On this: This is the awesome tower of limestone that dominates the landscape surrounding St. Jean de Buèges. There are multipitch climbs on the far left face and on the pillar right in the center. There are also a number of south-facing single pitch routes on the right side.Which is where I took this picture. This is Sebastien, a skinny, chain-smoking, number-crushing stereotype-fulfiller of a Frenchman, and he's climbing something hard. He did it pretty fast, probably because he started craving another cigarette right around the third bolt.That's it for now. I might put up some music this week, but given my record, it's pretty likely that I'll just wait until next Wednesday.

No comments: